Sunday, October 19, 2014

A contemplation on death, but mostly life



Jenna, the daughter of some dear family friends just died a few hours ago after battling stomach cancer for some time. She was 23.

Im sitting here crying but I dont know for exactly what reason. Its tragic that a young woman with such a promising future should have it taken from her for no apparent reason. And I can only imagine what her family is going through at this moment. The loss, the grief, the questions. I would be a mess if it were my brother or one of my parents. A complete mess. But thats not why Im crying.

I suppose its natural when something like this hits close to home to spend more time than usual thinking about death, eternity, and the true reason for life on Earth. Hollywood has freely speculated on the concept of death and life after it, my favorite one being the film Meet Joe Black. I dont consider its take on the concept to be realistic, but it comes close to asking the important questions.

So what are the important questions? I dont have a definitive answer, but I have decided on what the two most important questions for me are: 1) Where does life begin and end? and 2) Is God really good all the time?

If you are unfamiliar with authentic Christianity, it may be hard to wrap your brain around what Im about to say. But hear me out.

I dont spend enough time thinking about Heaven. I know Im going there when I die, I know its fantastic, and I know Ill spend way more time there than I ever will here (on Earth). Still, I dont think about it a ton. Why? I have no respectable answer to that question. Clearly Im too focused on natural rather than spiritual reality.

I do however spend quite a bit of time thinking about my own death. Its disconcerting for me to not know how or when Im going to die. My dramatic mind thinks up a number of horrific ways I could go. I dont want to die one of these violent deaths, but at the same time I cant truly visualize myself dying a peaceful death at a ripe old age. I dont know if its a legitimate premonition or just my own morbidness, but Ive always thought Id never make it past 50. Youd think that with this prospect Id be one of those carpe diem people. But life is something I take for granted. All the time.

Please dont feel depressed. Im getting to the good stuff.

Life, eternal life, starts the moment you give your life to Jesus. And it never stops. It just keeps going. Death is merely a door. And Jesus has always been the point.

Also, God is good. All the time. I struggle with the fact that I dont see powerful miracles happening. The Bible is full of documented healings and demonstrations of power, and since I absolutely believe that God is the same today, we should reasonably still be seeing the same class of miracles. (Note: There are miracles happening today, just not nearly as many in the Western world, the reason for which is a whole other issue and not one I will expound upon here).

But my point is that I, and Christian believers in general, often think about God in a completely erred light. To take the example of the miracle of resurrection, what if it wasnt a matter of Jesus deciding to not allow this miracle to happen, no matter how much we prayed for it to? What if He gave the person standing at Heavens door the choice between returning to Earth with a restored physical body and staying in Heaven with Him? After tasting the splendor and majesty of Heaven, who wouldnt choose the latter?

So really, when Jesus is the ultimate destination, you cant not win. There were two options for Jenna: either the Lord would do a miracle and restore her completely from her sickness, or He would take her to be with Him for eternity. Either way, shed win.

And I think that is why Im crying. Because in the midst of the sadness, I am overwhelmed by and in awe of the goodness of Jesus. None of the events make sense in light of natural thinking.  None of them. But when I gaze upon who Jesus is and think about the true nature and purpose of life, the life that HE gave us, its impossible not to feel joy.

Today, Jenna won.

No comments:

Post a Comment