Monday, October 21, 2013

It's the little things


I was making Shepherd’s pie and listening to some Carole King on a Saturday afternoon when I thought to myself: Life is pretty blissful. So I decided to make a list of some of my favorite things. And I hope that while reading this you feel inspired to make a ”bliss inventory” of your own. 

  1. A really good book. You know, the kind that draws you right in, stimulates your intellect, makes you laugh and cry, and challenges you to see life through a different set of eyes. 
  2. Dark chocolate, blue cheese and green olives accompanied by a glass of Amarone. 
  3. Waking up on a Saturday and feeling inspired to deep clean the apartment. Assuredly I say to you, it doesn’t happen that often.
  4. Getting a text message from a friend wondering if I’d like to meet up for coffee after work.
  5. A brisk walk in perfect autumn weather: cold, crisp and sunny. 
  6. Remarking to a friend, ”I really feel like taking a trip somewhere,” and her saying, ”Me too. Where shall we go?” Me replying, ”Budapest.” And her responding, ”Let’s do it.” (We’re leaving for Budapest next week!)
  7. Movies like Singing in the Rain, A Good Year, and You’ve Got Mail. They just make me smile. 
  8. Hearing from a friend or relative that a student of mine they randomly ran into said I was their favorite teacher. 
  9. Planning a trip back to the States to visit family, especially when it’s for Christmas. 
  10. Having my dad look at me while my mom is relaying this super detailed story and say, ”I bet you really just wanted the headlines.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment