Friday, October 11, 2013

Ode to Daniel

I love my brother. And I consider our relationship to be an incredibly close one. We’re transparent with one another, we encourage each other, we’re honest and we keep each other sharp. When we fight, it’s epic, but we always smooth it out. He’s developed a dry sense of humor that makes me laugh, and even though I may not be as emotionally responsive as some, he has at times moved me to tears with his singing. A particular moment comes to mind when I saw him perform Sondheim’s ”Not while I’m around” many years ago. I realized then that he wasn’t just my little brother anymore. 

I still forget sometimes to not treat him as such. It’s not easy making the transition from the big sister/little brother hierarchy to being adults on equal terms. I’m still adjusting to the idea that he’s a grown-up now - more grown up than me in many regards. I mean my goodness, he owns a car and pays insurance! And he’s got a smartphone! And a gym membership!

We’ve spent most of our adult lives living in separate states and/or countries, so this transition hasn’t been a subtle or progressive one for me. Each time I see him is a glaring reminder that I can’t boss him around anymore. I can’t tease him in the same way I used to. He’s got his own way of reasoning, his own values and his own relationships. 

He’s recently taken a huge step and moved to the Big Apple to attend grad school and make his way in the world of musical theater. That takes guts and just the right amount of recklessness. I admire and look up to him (and I mean that also literally as he’s a head taller than me). He’s super charming, smart, talented and charismatic. And for reasons I have yet to figure out, he holds me in high regard. I hope I’ll always be that person.   

Daniel, I’m proud of and excited for you. All I gotta say is that I better be your date to the Tony’s. Eventual girlfriend or wife is irrelevant. I am the star’s sister. ;) 


mucho love-o


No comments:

Post a Comment