Thursday, October 24, 2013

The "C" Word

A student once said to me, rather philosophically, ”The only two things that are certain in this life are change and death.” I don’t know if he got that from his grandpa or if he formulated it himself, but either way, he’s totally right. 

My relationship with change is a bit conflicted. I liken it to an awkward dance with a guy I have an enormous crush on but barely know. I love it as much as I resent it. I crave it as much as I fear it.

The changes in my life, especially those during my twenties, haven’t been tragic, just big. Think loud, garish colors and a cartoon ”kaboom” cloud followed by nine exclamation marks - the exact opposite of subtle. I am by nature an introvert, but due to circumstances I’ve learned to be more extroverted and to take the unknown in stride. It’s been challenging, but it’s been cool, and now that I’ve gotten used to being thrown into new situations, I’ve started craving it like a drug. I start going through withdrawal if too much time goes by without a change of scene (and when I say too much time, I mean like a month). But God knows me well, and He makes sure to add certain dynamics to my life that keep me interested and dependent on Him. ;)

I’ve grown to appreciate change, not just crave it. And I think there’s an important distinction to be made there. Craving is so one dimensional. If we crave without appreciating, we overlook the opportunity to learn and grow, since appreciation for something is often what propels us forward into a new place of discovery. 

Transition has been one of my greatest teachers. Unless forced into accepting new conditions, my own human nature has the tendency to get comfortable, complacent and lazy. Since I greatly desire to test the boundaries of my own destiny and potential, I can’t afford to remain in my comfort zone. As the saying goes: Ships are safest in harbor. But that’s not what ships are for.

Don’t run away from change. Change is inevitable and it’s not always positive, but the way I see, it’s how you approach it and react to it that allows room to be made for maturity and redemption, and ultimately, tremendous blessing and abundance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment